Bringing together leading experts, this book presents effective practices for helping people with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) to thrive in adulthood. As individuals with ASD mature, their needs change as well. The book reviews the growing research base and describes ways to support adolescents and adults in succeeding in higher education and work, living independently, enjoying leisure activities, navigating meaningful personal relationships, and more. Specific behavioral and instructional interventions--such as functional communication training, positive behavior support, and applied behavior analysis--are discussed. Case examples illustrate practical aspects of applying the strategies in real-world school and community settings.
Matt Tincani, PhD, is Associate Professor of Special Education and Applied Behavior Analysis at Temple University, where he chairs the Department of Psychological, Organizational, and Leadership Studies in the College of Education. He has worked in the field of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) for over 20 years as a therapist, program supervisor, university teacher, and researcher. A Board Certified Behavior Analyst, he has developed several university-based programs to prepare professionals who support people with ASD and has held a variety of state and national leadership positions. Dr. Tincani is author or coauthor of dozens of articles, book chapters, and books featuring research and strategies to teach communication, socialization, academic, and self-help skills to people with ASD and other disabilities.
Andy Bondy, PhD, has over 40 years of experience working with children and adults with ASD and related developmental disabilities. For more than a dozen years he served as the director of a statewide public school program for students with autism. He and his wife, Lori Frost, pioneered the development of the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS). Dr. Bondy designed the Pyramid Approach to Education as a comprehensive combination of broad-spectrum behavior analysis and functional communication strategies. He is a cofounder of Pyramid Educational Consultants, Inc., in Newark, Delaware, and serves as Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors of the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies.
1. Characteristics of Adults with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders, Brenda Smith Myles, Amy Bixler Coffin, Donna J. Owens, & Courtney Yantes
2. Autism Spectrum Disorders and the Family, Lauren Pepa & Sandra L. Harris
II. Transitioning from Adolescence to Adulthood
3. Effective Secondary Education and Transition for Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Michael L. Wehmeyer & Dianne Zager
4. Postsecondary Education for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Jane Thierfeld Brown, Lorraine E. Wolf, & Christine Wenzel
III. Instructional and Behavioral Interventions to Promote Quality of Life
5. Behavioral Interventions for Complex Communication and Social Skills in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Angelica Aguirre, John O’Neill, Ruth Anne Rehfeldt, & Valerie Boyer
6. Teaching Functional Communication to Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Russell Lang, Jeff Sigafoos, Larah van der Meer, Amarie Carnett, Vanessa A. Green, Giulio E. Lancioni, & Mark F. O’Reilly
7. Positive Behavior Support for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Matt Tincani & Shannon Crozier
8. Skill-Building Interventions for Adolescents and Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Peter F. Gerhardt, Maria Fernanda Garcia, & Anthony Foglia
9. Sexuality and Relationships for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Jason C. Travers & Peggy Schaeffer Whitby
10. Toward a Balanced Leisure Lifestyle for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Phyllis Coyne & Ann Fullerton
IV. Employment, Independence, Aging, and Policy
11. Meaningful Employment for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Paul Wehman, Pamela Sherron Targett, Carol Schall, & Staci Carr
12. Facilitating Successful Independent Living Skills for Adults with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders, Brenda Smith Myles, Daniel Steere, Cathy Pratt, Ruth Aspy, Barry G. Grossman, & Shawn A. Henry
13. Aging, Estate Planning, and Funding Services for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Carol Markowitz
14. Legal Issues and Autism Spectrum Disorders, Beverly L. Frantz & David W. Zellis