Those Who Made It is a collection of original interviews conducted over a span of more than thirty-five years by film historian, educator and broadcaster, John C. Tibbetts. Captured are the voices of prominent film personnel chronicling at first-hand the behind-the-scenes story of Hollywood in its classical studio period, the so-called Golden Age. Interviewees include Steven Spielberg, Robert Altman, Bernardo Bertolucci, Terry Gilliam, Jim Henson, Philip Glass and many more.
John C. Tibbetts is an author, broadcaster, pianist and artist with more than twenty books specializing in film and the related arts to his credit.
List of Figures
Preface; David Thomson
Introduction: Interviews and Conversations
1. Innovations in 1920s and 1930s Hollywood Cinematography, Sound Technology, and Feature-Length Animation
2. Hollywood at Home and at War in the 1940s
3. Cold War Film and Television in the 1950s
4. 'New Hollywood' Filmmakers in the 1970s and 1980s
5. Late 20th-Century Cultural Inclusion
6. Past is Prologue